Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Banana Date Nut Shake

This is a great after school snack and would make a great breakfast.  Thanks to 30 Days of Amazing Paleolithic Breakfasts by Lisa Stewart and Jeremy L for this recipe.  We've incorporated into our repertoire quite of few recipes from this book.

Photo: aida mollenkamp
Here is my adaptation of this recipe.

Ingredients:

1 cup frozen banana pieces
1 cup pitted dates
3/4 cup coconut milk
a handful of soaked, dehydrated raw walnuts*
dash of cinnamon

Directions:

Add all ingredients into the blender and blend until smooth.

Carly loved it but she LOVES walnuts.  My Coop, he's a bit picky.  I made it for him for breakfast and prepped him with, "keep an open mind".  I also omitted the walnuts because I didn't think he'd like it.  I think he drank most of it.  When I made it for Carly after school I used the walnuts (duh).  I gave Coop and his friend a little bit.  His friend asked what flavor it was and Coop, after tasting it said, "chocolate banana".  They gobbled it up and then I told them what it really was.  Both boys were surprised but decided they still liked it.  I'm keeping the recipe.

*Since my husband started soaking and dehydrating nuts we've discovered they really do taste better and we are digesting them better.  For the why's and how's check out the link - why should I soak nuts?

No comments:

Post a Comment