Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Oil Pulling

Have you heard of it?  Chances are you know someone who has started oil pulling therapy.

What is it?  According to oilpulling.com:
"Oil pulling or oil swishing, is an ancient ayurvedic, simple, cost effective, natural remedy procedure that involves pulling or swishing oil in the mouth for oral and systemic health benefits.  It is claimed to cure about 30 systemic diseases ranging from headache and migraine to diabetes and asthma."
My god-daughter, Tara, told me months ago she was oil pulling with olive oil.  I thought she was crazy and it was disgusting.  Come to find out my husband has been oil pulling with coconut oil.  We all know the health benefits of coconut oil so why not try oil pulling with it?

I did.  I've been faithful for almost two weeks.  Guess what?  First, I think my teeth are whiter.  Second, I got a canker sore (which isn't unusual for me).  Since I had started oil pulling the canker sore never erupted, I never felt pain, didn't use any orajel, and it went away in a few days!  I've never experienced that with a canker sore.  The true test will be my next dentist visit, mid-September.  I'm hoping for some healing of the many problems I have with my teeth.

The method?  Brad and I are swishing first thing in the morning.  We use 1-2 teaspoons of organic coconut oil and swish for 20 minutes.  This is very detoxifying so you want to do it on an empty stomach.  My second day, I forgot to swish in the morning and did it when I remembered which was right before dinner.  My stomach was queasy and I didn't feel so good.  I don't experience that problem when I swish in the morning.  After swishing with the coconut oil, we rinse with salt water (we use sea salt).  Oilpulling.com says, "Salt water rinsing isn’t absolutely necessary, but is very helpful as an antimicrobial and to soothe any inflammation and proven to be effective in rinsing out any toxins which may be left out in the mouth."

Let me know if you start oil pulling and if you notice anything different!

No comments:

Post a Comment