Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Butternut Squash Soup

Here we go!  I'm taking you with me on my 30-day fodmap free journey.  I've made a few new things and tweaks some old things.

Here I revisited my fall soup and made it fodmaps free.

Ingredients:
  • 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
  • 1 parsnip, peeled and cut into chunks
  • 4-6 carrots, cut into chunks
  • bone broth made without foods from fodmap list
  • bay leaf
  • 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida,* optional
  • sea salt to taste
Directions:
  1. Place all the vegetables in a heavy stock pot or dutch oven.
  2. Add bone broth to cover vegetables.
  3. Add bayleaf and asafoetida.
  4. Cook until boiling then reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until vegetables are soft.
  5. Discard bayleaf.
  6. Pour ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
  7. Add salt to taste.
*Asafoetida is an excellent substitute for garlic and onion.  You can find it at specialty spice shops.  We bought ours at Savory Spice Shop.

1 comment: