Thursday, February 20, 2014

Hot Dog!

Is it a secret that sometimes you need to be creative when you are cooking?  Going paleo I find I need to be creative to come up with ingredient substitutions and new ideas.  When I started avoiding FODMAPs I really needed to kick up the creative juices.

Thanks to the many bloggers, I can pretty easily find new, easy, yummy recipes.  My dear friend, Kindra at Bon Appetit Paleo, is brilliantly creative.  Hence, a hot dog!

OK, we're no strangers to organic, grass-fed, beef hot dogs.  We've been buying the Applegate hot dogs for a couple of years and eating them bunless.  We love them!  But when Kindra told me her idea for a bun, I HAD to make it.

It was perfect!  PERFECT!  I barely had to convince myself I was not eating a hot dog bun.

Ingredients:
  • organic, grass-fed, beef hot dogs
  • small organic sweet potato or yam (about the size of your hot dog)
  • condiments
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400˚F.
  2. Scrub potatoes and slather with ghee or bacon fat.
  3. Bake sweet potatoes for about 20 - 30 minutes, until soft and skins are starting to crisp.
  4. Grill hot dogs.
  5. Remove potatoes and allow to cool, to handle.
  6. Scoop out flesh.  This is your side dish.
  7. Add hot dog to potato skin and top with condiments.
Love, love, love this dish!


No comments:

Post a Comment