Saturday, January 18, 2014

Homemade Ghee

Photo: Brad Johnson


My husband made ghee.  I can't believe we've lived so long without it.  I seem to use it so much.  Any time I need an oil I consider, "should I use ghee?".  It's nutty, buttery, yummy.  It reminds me of drawn butter you would dip your lobster into.

Why ghee? Besides being delicious:
  • It has butter's nutritional benefits, plus: 
  • Excess moisture and milk proteins are removed, resulting in long shelf life with or without refrigeration. 
  • Very stable saturated fat; great for high-heat cooking. 
  • Good for those with allergies to milk protein. 
  • Long history in Indian cuisine. 
  • Nutty flavor due to caramelization of butter solids while cooking. 
  • Yet another fun food experiment. 
Anyway, here are the three websites Brad referred to when he made our ghee.

Homemade Indian Ghee If You Dare

How To Make Ghee

How To Make Ghee (Indian Clarified Butter)

Now go out and make ghee!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment