Wednesday, January 2, 2013

"Nutella"

Make Your Own "Nutella" *

I don't like nutella but my family does.  When the kids are begging for it what do I do?  I find a paleo nutella I can make myself.  Paleo Spirit's recipe uses hazelnuts.  That's what I don't like about nutella, so I'm using raw almonds.

*Disclaimer: I have to put nutella in quotes because Brad says it's not really nutella.  He adds that this recipe is still good.


Here is my recipe adapted from Paleo Spirit.

Ingredients:
  • 1 C raw almonds (use hazelnuts if you like them)
  • 1/2 C coconut milk
  • 1/4 C coconut nectar or maple syrup
  • 1/4 C cacao powder
  • 1/4 t vanilla
  • 2 T coconut oil
  • pinch of sea salt
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350˚ F.
  • Roast the almonds in the oven for 10 minutes.
  • Add the almonds to the bowl of a food processor and pureé for a few minutes until creamy, scraping down the sides as needed.
  • Add the remaining ingredients.  Continue to process until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed.
  • Store in the refrigerator.

2 comments:

  1. We used to have a young girl that lived with us and she loved Nutella. She would eat it by the spoonfuls. I always hated that sugar was the main ingredient. So when I saw this recipe I decided to try it. After all I had everything in my pantry. I LOVE IT!!!! My daughter-in-law came in and insisted that we make her a jar too. So suffice to say I will keep this recipe handy. What a great way to have a sweet treat. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thanks for letting me know. I appreciate your encouraging words.

      Delete