Last year for Cooper's birthday we were only gluten-free. It was easy to purchase gluten-free donuts in the frozen section at Mother's Market. They were ok. Coop was a good sport. This year, being grain-free, I wondered if we were going to indulge and suffer with belly aches or do away with the traditional donut.
Thank you Paleo Spirit for saving our tradition! These Apple Cider Donuts are so good and the birthday boy gave 2 thumbs up to having them as his birthday breakfast.
Ingredients (makes 10-12 mini-donuts or about 9 regular donuts)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (liquid)
- 1/2 cup warm apple cider
- 2 tablespoons butter or coconut oil, melted – for coating cooked donuts
- 1/2 cup granulated coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Preheat mini-donut maker or oven to 350˚F.
- In a small bowl whisk together coconut flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs, oil, and honey.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until combined.
- Add the warm apple cider to the bowl and mix until fully incorporated into the dough.
- Scoop the donut batter into the pre-heated donut maker/pan.
- Close the lid and cook for 2-3 minutes or place in the oven for 20 min.
- Carefully remove cooked donuts from the pan.
- Brush donuts with melted butter or coconut oil to cover both sides.
- Toss donuts with the prepared cinnamon/coconut sugar mixture until coated.
BTW - I did not go out and buy a donut maker. I bought a donut pan at Michaels for $10. Works great!