- 2 cups butternut squash, pumpkin, sweet potato, or yam, pureed
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 heaping tablespoon arrowroot starch
- 4 slices of bacon, diced
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400˚F.
2. Cook bacon until crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a plate with a paper towel.
3. Add puree, 1T bacon fat, and egg yolks to the food processor. Puree until smooth, pour into a large bowl.
4. Heat 1T bacon fat in a skillet over medium heat and add garlic and shallots.
5. Cook until shallots are tender and translucent.
6. Add shallots, bacon, arrowroot starch, herbs, salt and pepper to the bowl of puree and mix well.
7. In a separate large bowl beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. With a spatula, fold egg whites into your squash bowl until no white streaks remain.
8. Grease a glass baking dish with butter and pour in mixture.
9. Bake for 35-40 minutes.