I was looking for a baked good to take to my bible study. I came across this recipe and I'm so glad I tried it. Thanks to Against All Grain for this gluten-free, grains-free, dairy-free, coconut-free AND amazing treat!
I made two. One for the family and one for bible study. My family (including my very picky-when-it-comes-to-food husband) loved it so much it was difficult to keep them from eating the whole thing. I managed to save some and turn it into pumpkin bread french toast the next morning. Delicious! As I labeled my treat for bible study I secretly hoped the ladies would see it's gluten-free, grain-free, etc., be too afraid to try it, and I'd get to take some home. No such luck.
|Photo: Against All Grain|
Here's my version:
2 large eggs
¾ cup almond butter
½ cup grade B maple syrup
½ cup pumpkin puree
3 tablespoons softened unsalted butter
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup arrowroot powder
1½ tablespoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon lemon zest
½ teaspoon ginger
¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Lightly grease an 8.5×4.5 loaf pan then place a piece of parchment paper on the bottom of the pan.
- In a high-speed blender or food processor combine the eggs, almond butter, maple syrup, pumpkin, butter, lemon juice, and vanilla. Puree for 30 seconds until smooth and creamy.
- Add the arrowroot, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, lemon zest, ginger, and sea salt. Blend again for 30 seconds until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for about 40 min or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove the loaf from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool completely before eating, about 2 hours. Store tightly wrapped in the refrigerator.
For pumpkin bread french toast the next day:
- Whisk together one egg, 1 teaspoon of vanilla, 2 tablespoons of raw milk (optional).
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter over a medium-high heat.
- Slice 1/2 a loaf of pumpkin bread and dip each slice in the egg mixture.
- Cook on each side for about 2 minutes.
- Top with grade B maple syrup.